Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cell Phones


Cell phones are probably one of the greatest technologies ever invented.  Back in the day, the only way of communication was with a land phone. I could not imagine what it would be like if I were to get stranded on the side of the road with car trouble, and have no way to contact someone for help like many did back then. These days we are lucky. We have the convience of the cell phone. So whenever there is an emergency all we have to do is grabbed our cells and dial or even TEXT away! When cell phones were invented this was the goal they had in mind, but today cell phones have become a major distraction for college students.
Walk into any college class and you will see that almost every student has their cell phone on their desk. A select few will not distract themselves with the phone the whole class period, but the majority—including me—is constantly doing something on their phone. Like most students, I have a smartphone which is basically a mini-computer that is easier to hide from teachers. When I have my phone out during a class, I will constantly check my phone, get on facebook, scope out twitter, or look for the new shoes I want on the internet. If your phone is able to do all this, how is it not a distraction! Cell phones also cause a distraction during study time. What can we do? Every student needs to have a cell phone to stay in contact with family and friends far away. Cell phones are great to have, but when is the technology becoming to distractive?


Do you get distracted by cell phones in class? How often do you check  your phone during studying or class?  Tell me how you feel about cell phones!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with this post and I have to admit, I sometimes have my phone out during class. I even sit on upper floors of the library so that I'll have cell phone service when I should be STUDYING! It sounds crazy when I say it out loud but I feel almost like I'm not connected with the world if I don't have cell phone service. It can become a major distraction but as students, we need to learn to control our cell phone obsession (especially smart phone obsession). This may be the only way to limit distractions while in class or studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cell phones are a major distraction especially when I'm in class or trying to study. Of course I think that they are great and serve many different purposes, but they do get in the way of my schoolwork and other students school work on campus.

    When I'm in class, i constantly check my phone every two minutes. Most times i dont even have a new text or email, its just the satisfaction of checking my phone. Its an addiction! I often try to study in places where I dont get service because I know that I can not contact anyone. I honestly dont have the will power to turn it off so i have to go somewhere that I have no option to contact people.

    I'M A CELL PHONE ADDICT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cell phone is definitely a distraction, especially during class and when I am trying to study. During class, if I start to get bored, I will take out my cell phone and check messages or facebook or twitter. Also, when studying, checking my phone is something that happens at least every 5 minutes, even when I know it hasn't vibrated. Although it doesn't take long it makes me stop what I am doing and it takes longer to get focused again. My phone is never turned off, which is why it is a major distraction when trying to do schoolwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always on m cell phone during class. I don't think it distracts other people but it is hard for me to focus during class. If i really need to pay attention I put my phone away but most of the time I respond to text messages and things. I would probably have much better grades if I didn't have a phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Katie Morris and I am interning with http://wwwstageoflife.com.

    We recently wrote a teen trend article on how high school students feel about the media. When researching this topic, I came across your site.

    You are welcome to link back to any of the student essays about the media, share the findings on Facebook or Twitter, or contact me if you have any questions about featuring any of the media analysis on your site; you are welcome to do so.

    The link to our media analysis is http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx.

    ReplyDelete