Monday, April 18, 2011

Clemson Distractions

This picture was taken in Cooper Library. This girl was not only on facebook, but if you notice in her hand is her cell phone. At the library, studying is supposed to occur. Was she taking just taking a study break or was she clicking back and forth between her assignment and facebook, while waiting for an important text from her best friend? Are your study habits similar to hers? Do you click back and forth between a social networking site and websites that pertain to school?


This photo was taken during a large chemistry class. In this photo, this girl has her calculator and her cell phone beside each other. Perhaps in between her doing chemical equations, she texted a few of her friends back, or got on facebook or twitter. This picture is a good of example how large of a distraction cell phones alone. Which is more important during class, her cell phone or her calculator?


This photo was also taken during a large class. Notice that there are a lot of electronic devices near this student, but amongst the calculator, and iclicker are her cell phone and laptop, which aren't needed in this class. She is texting or on some sort of social networking site during class, which means her focus is clearly not on the professor's lecture. How often do you have your cell phone out during class? Or how many times do you quickly open your laptop to momentarily check facebook? Does your desk look like this student's?

4 comments:

  1. I know my phone is the biggest distraction for me in class. I am constantly on it and it takes my attention away from class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My phone is the biggest distraction for me also,If the lecture is boring or I'm not understanding the work in class I am forced to pull out my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my classes are large lecture classes and most times I cant even focus on learning the material because of all the facebook pages up. Its hard to learn new material when I am intrigued by the pictures people are looking at in front of me. This is a major distraction for me and I'm sure it is for thousands of other Clemson students

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe that media is a big distraction to college students. I often see a lot of distractions in the library because of the media.

    ReplyDelete